The mission of the Guidance and Counseling Program at St. Clare Walker Middle School is to address and meet the academic, career, and personal/social needs of all students. The program is comprehensive, preventative, responsive, and developmentally appropriate. The program seeks to engage families, teachers, administrators, and community leaders in order to enhance and improve student achievement and personal growth.
To provide a planned and organized program of learning experiences that bolster academic, career, and personal/social development of all students.
To be accessible and responsive to families and teachers.
To create and promote a warm, caring, inclusive, and safe school climate.
Student Academic Goals
- Understand the relationship of personal abilities, goals, skills, interests, and motivation to academic achievement.
- Display a positive interest in learning.Identify attitudes and behaviors that lead to successful learning.
- Apply time management and task management skills.
- Use communications skills to know when and how to ask for help when needed.
Student Career Goals
- Identify personal preferences, skills, and interests that influence career choices and success.
- Understand that behaviors such as punctuality, courtesy, proper dress and language, and hard work are essential to success in the job market.
- Develop skills to locate, evaluate, and interpret career information.
- Learn about the variety of traditional and non-traditional occupations.
- Learn to complete a job application in the appropriate manner.
- Understand the consequences of decisions and choices.
- Use appropriate decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate appropriate skills for interactions with adults and developing and maintaining positive peer relationships.
- Develop positive attitudes toward self as a unique and worthy person.
- Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior.
I believe that all students have dignity and worth. I believe that all students have the right to participate in the school counseling program. I believe that all students have the right to feel safe and cheerful at school. I believe that it is important to greet students by their name and with a smile. I believe that it is important to strengthen character traits, such as respect, integrity, honesty, responsibility, fairness, and kindness, in all students. I believe in being a counselor who is compassionate, empathetic, and caring. I believe in being accessible and available to parents. I believe parents play a fundamental role in their child's emotional development and academic success. I believe in teamwork among students, parents, teachers, and myself to ensure academic achievement and emotional peace.
I believe it is important for me to grow professionally through attendance at workshops and conferences. I believe that my supervisor should consistently evaluate my performance and offer suggestions for growth. I am a member of the American School Counselor Association.
Middlesex County Public Library
Middlesex County School Board
Middlesex Department of Social Services
Middlesex Family YMCA
Middlesex Parks and Recreation
Non-Emergency (804-758-2779 or 758-2195)